The Nigerian Army says nine insurgents from the terrorist group Boko Haram have been killed by its men in Mainak, Borno state.
The soldiers had been involved in a shootout with the insurgents on Wednesday.
The army’s spokesman Sagir Musa said: “Troops of Sector 1, Operation LAFIYA DOLE have successfully staged an ambush at identified Boko Haram terrorists crossing point at Mainok-Jakana axis in Kaga local government area of Borno state at about 1830 hours on the 13th of May 2020.”
“So far, nine Boko Haram terrorists lost their lives, two gun trucks mounted with anti aircraft guns have been captured and exploitation is ongoing by the troops. Two soldiers are slightly wounded.
“Situation in the area has been normalised.”
The Nigerian army has intensified its onslaught against the Boko Haram terror group weeks after the government of the neighbouring West-African country Chad routed the insurgents from its border towns. General Tukur Buratai, the army chief moved to Borno in a well-publicized attempt to finally destroy Boko Haram outposts in Nigeria’s North-East.